How to Make a Beaded Necklace
A Beaded Necklace Tutorial
Ruby's little buddy, Winona, has a birthday coming up and I wanted to make her something extra special because she is an extra special little girl. If you live in the NYC area, then you know about the amazing bead shops around 37th and Broadway in the Fashion District. When I trekked over to the Fashion District, I didn't have a specific plan for the necklace and bracelet gift and decided to just let the selection of beads inspire me. I fell in love with these beautiful glass beads and I thought they would look perfect on Winona. Making jewelry is so easy and anyone can do it. I am a total novice when it comes to jewelry making, but it doesn't matter because I just keep it super simple. Even if you don't have an amazing district devoted to beads in your city, you can still pick up beads and jewelry making supplies at any JoAnnes, Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I hope this tutorial will inspire you to make a necklace or bracelet for you or as a gift for a special friend.
- Beads of your choice
- 1 yard of thin leather cord
- Clasp of your choice (I used a magnetic clasp)
- 4 metal beads to hide the binding (these should be just wide enough to accommodate the cord folded over so they fit snuggly over the finished binding)
- Small pliers
1. String the beads onto your leather cord leaving about 1 1/2 inches at each end.
2. Put the metal beads and the clasp onto the cord.
3. Make a loop with the cord with the clasp in the middle of the loop and start winding the thread around the the loop. Be sure to wind the end of the thread underneath your binding to secure it. Wind the thread about 30 times. Now wind the thread, tying it each time you wind it. Repeat this about 10 times.
4. Cut the ends of the thread. Cut the extra leather cord and push the metal beads over the binding. Repeat process on the other side.